May is finally here and May has to be one of the most fun months of the year. There are several holidays – Cinco De Mayo, Memorial Day and Mother’s Day. It’s also the last month of school and it kicks off summer!
So, for this month’s capsule, you’ll notice more shorts and less layers. I also did something a little different this time around and polled you guys to see what you wanted have included in this capsule. I thought you all would say white shorts or a fun blouse, but the most requested thing was more athleticwear. I love it!
As much as I love dressing up and creating cute outfits, I – like you it seems – tend to grab for athleticwear first when I’m going to sporting events or running errands. So, I added a few athleisure items to the May capsule like this athletic skirt, this white athletic dress, and this black athletic dress.
I also am pumped for the challenge to show how we can take these athletic pieces and transition them from your child’s soccer game to drinks on the porch with your girlfriends.
CAPSULE WARDROBE TIP OF THE MONTH: When creating monthly capsule wardrobes, don’t hesitate to repeat items for more than one month. In fact, the point of creating capsules is investing in pieces that you can wear more than once and for more than one month or season.
For example, with this month’s capsule you’ll recognize a lot of the same pieces from the April Capsule Wardrobe like this linen skirt, this bodysuit, and these shorts. These are pieces that work for spring and summer and my guess is you’ll be seeing me style them all summer long!
May Capsule Wardrobe:
- LINEN BOW TIE TOP: this top is without a doubt one of my favorite tops. I think the bow tie straps are so feminine and fun and the material is perfect for warm weather. It comes in black, too, and I may just have to get it in that color as well!
- LINEN SKIRT: this skirt – made to pair with the top above – is so versatile! You could definitely pair it with the linen bow tie top, but I’ve paired it with a sweater, a lightweight sweatshirt, and a white tee, too. The ruching is very flattering and the length is longer than most mini skirts making it appropriate to wear to work even.
- LINEN TROUSERS: I absolutely love the look of linen pants in spring/summer, but so often I find that linen pants are see through. I’m digging the trouser trend we’re seeing right now, so when I saw these linen trousers, I decided to give them a try. They’re great, y’all! They fit true to size and can be easily dressed up or down. I think they’ll also work great as a nicer swim coverup, too.
- GAUZE MAXI SKIRT: skirts are just so easy for warm weather, so I added this maxi skirt to the capsule. This one is lined to just above the knee so it’s not see through. It also has a fun slit giving it a bit more character.
- BLACK ONE SHOULDER ATHLETIC DRESS: a black athletic dress is a great piece to have in your closet. They tend to look a bit more polished than another color and the one shoulder cut of this one elevates it even more.
- WHITE ATHLETIC DRESS: now that people are wearing white more, I added a basic white athletic dress, too. This one fits true to size and has a built in bra. I would also recommend wearing nippies with this dress just to be safe. This dress is easy to layer over and is a great summer staple.
- RUFFLED STRIPE TOP: stripes have always been big in the summer season, but the real hero of this top is the ruffles. It’s a fun, feminine version of your basic striped tee.
- SLEEVELESS BODYSUIT: these bodysuits have been in my capsule wardrobes for the last few months. They were great to layer with in the cooler months, but can most definitely be worn on their own. They’re thick enough that they end up being super flattering. I included the tan and white colors this month, but the black is good, too!
- ONE SHOULDER WHITE TANK: some of the bigger trends for tops this spring/summer are one shoulder tops and halter tops. I’m not quite back on the halter top bandwagon, but am digging the one shoulder tops. I added this one and know it’s a piece I and you can wear all summer long.
- WHITE BOXY TEE: sometimes it’s just nice to have a tee you can throw and go. This tee was in last month’s capsule and I included it in this month’s as well. I love that it cinches at the waist just enough to give you a figure.
- WHITE ATHLETIC SKORT: this skort is a tad pricier than I normally spend, but it is very well made and a quality skort you’ll have for years. I got mine last year and wore it a ton; it’s still in perfect condition. Athletic skorts are easier than athletic shorts to dress up and will be fun to style this spring.
- SHEER KIMONO: I got this kimono in “warm sand” last spring and wore it a ton. I wore it with jeans or shorts in the spring and then as a swim coverup in the summer. I grabbed it in this “amethyst” color for this year after realizing how versatile it is and how many outfits you can create from it.
- AGOLDE PARKER LONG SHORTS: denim shorts are a staple in my spring/summer wardrobe and maybe one of my most worn items. They’re easy to style with a blouse, a basic tee, a sweater, or as a swim coverup.
- AGOLDE BLACK SHORTS: these shorts were in last month’s capsule and I think they provide a great change to your standard light or medium wash denim.
- MOM JEANS: I think having a good pair of jeans to wear is essential is all capsules. For spring/summer I tend to gravitate toward a lighter wash jean. These jeans are very comfortable and the cut is right on trend.
- WHITE DRESS: every spring/summer outfit needs a LWD and this one is great! It’s lined so it’s not see through and it’s very comfortable.
May Capsule Outfit Inspiration:
one shoulder top // 4 ways
linen bow tie top // 4 ways
gauze maxi skirt // 4 ways
ruffle stripe top // 4 ways
agolde shorts // 4 ways
linen pants // 4 ways