top: target | vest: target | skirt: target | shoes: similar (less than $5!)
If you were born before 2000, then you probably grew up adhering to the following fashion faux pas:
– don’t wear white after labor day
– don’t wear black and brown together
– don’t mix fabrics
– match your purse to your shoes
Our kiddos and younger generations however, are growing up in a fashion world where these faux pas have all been debunked! How fun! White has become a color to wear year-round, black and brown is constantly mixed, shoes rarely match the bag, and mixing patterns, prints and fabrics is to be praised!
When it comes to mixing fabrics, we like to have a little fun, but we know it can be stressful if you’re not used to mixing prints and fabrics, so we’ve compiled a list we like to stick to when putting outfits together:
tips for mixing prints/fabrics:
1. stick to a color scheme – you’ll see in today’s outfit that there are neutral tones threaded throughout the outfit, there is gold thread in the tweed skirt that ties into the gold polka dots on the vest and the gold buttons of the top
2. pick a dominant pattern and let the other pieces compliment it – our dominant piece today is Emma’s skirt so we picked a solid top to compliment the skirt and a solid, soft fur vest to soften the bold tweed pattern of the skirt
3. choose different size patterns – for example, if you want to wear stripes on stripes, choose a small stripe pattern dress and layer it with a large stripe sweater
4. When in doubt, layer prints/fabrics over chambray – we love this rule because it gives us a good base when we’re staring at our closet and racking our brain over which pieces to put together; a chambray top is a good neutral and can easily be layered over almost any color, print or fabric
For more tips on how to mix prints and fabrics, check out this buzzfeed article on “21 ways to mix patterns like a fashion blogger.”
I debated including the previous two pictures, but hey, you’ve got to have some fun on the job, even if it is in the form of jumping off curbs!! I love how this girl constantly reminds me to smile and love every bit of my day.
xx – anna & emma grace