Creating a capsule wardrobe for the month of August is so tricky for me. As a speech pathologist in the school system, August is when I return to work. This means I need to include some pieces that are work appropriate in my capsule. August also happens to be insanely hot in Texas during the month of August. So, while I want the breeziest clothing on my body at home, I need appropriate layers for the work place. Anyone else have this dilemma?
As I start to incorporate transitional pieces into my wardrobe, I look to invest in pieces that will last me longer than just this month. So, the bottoms like a new pair of pants or jeans or a slip skirt are pieces I can wear on into September and October. I look to do the same for layering pieces, too. For example, this coatigan is a great layering piece. And while I didn’t include it in this wardrobe I can almost guarantee it will be in September’s capsule.
August 2021 Capsule Wardrobe
- WHITE MAXI DRESS: This dress has been a favorite all summer long for me, so it should be no surprise that I’ve included it in a capsule once again. It’s so comfortable and flattering in fact that I also have it in black and yellow.
- NAP DRESS: Another summer favorite. This dress is so crazy comfortable and I love how feminine it is, too!
- 90s MINI DRESS: I included this dress in last month’s capsule, and couldn’t resist including it again. It’s the perfect date night dress and looks so cute with flats, too!
- FRILL COTTON DRESS: I love the frill neckline on this dress giving this maxi a bit of femininity. I also like that this dress can easily double as a swim coverup.
- SWEATER TANK: Sweater tanks are a big trend right now for transitioning to fall. I think it’s a fun trend to be honest. You can wear them as is in the heat and then layer with them in the fall. I liked this particular one because the sleeves can rest on your shoulder or slide off your shoulder.
- EYELET CROP TOP: Crop tops are another big trend right now, but a bit harder for me to pull off. I’m assuming I’m not the only young mom struggling to wear crop tops. What I like about this one though is that the smocking at the bottom makes it a bit longer; pair it with high waist bottoms and you’re good to go!
- LINEN CROP TOP: I added another crop top to this wardrobe that’s a little more “date night” friendly. I think this one is fun and the linen-blend is perfect for the hottest month of summer!
- LINEN CUT-OUT TOP: As we embrace these hot summer days, this will be the perfect top to style!
- BODYSUIT: I wanted to include a top that would be good for work as well. This bodysuit is a super flattering option for workwear and can be paired well with any bottom in this capsule.
- WHITE CAMI: Having one casual top option in your capsule is key. I love the neckline of this one and think it would be so flattering for most body types.
- LINEN-BLEND MAXI SKIRT: This skirt is a great light-weight skirt for summer!
- WIDE-LEG CHINO PANTS: I included these in this capsule as a good workwear option. They are great for play, but will function well in the work place too. They’ll also carry on well into fall.
- SLIP SKIRT: A nicer skirt option, this flirty skirt is perfect for work or play!
- SMOCKED MINI SKIRT: I love the smocked mini skirt trend. It works well as a styled outfit, but also functions great as a swimsuit coverup!
- DENIM SHORTS: I’m not sure you can have a summer capsule wardrobe without denim shorts. These shorts are my favorite shorts brand and are a bit longer than the cutoffs I normally wear.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THESE:
How To Create a Work Wardrobe That’s Affordable And Versatile