Hi, babes!!! So glad to have you here today as I launch my first ever capsule wardrobe! It took me a while to get here, but I think it will be something you will all resonate with. Since this is my first capsule wardrobe, I’ll explain a bit about how I got here.
why a capsule wardrobe?
For starters, one of the things I preach on my blog is versatility. I mostly buy pieces that I know I can wear over and over again and stye in different ways. However, I realize that while it may come easy to me to see how I can style this blazer 7 different ways, it may not be as automatic for someone who isn’t in this industry. The other contributing factor was feedback from you guys. In January asked you all a lot of questions to gauge what you guys wanted to see more of on Fleurdille; your answers were so helpful!
The last factor was money. As a working mom of two young girls, I want to stay on trend without spending $100 a day on new clothing. I know most of y’all are in the same boat, too, so I thought a capsule wardrobe would allow us to invest in some staple pieces to take us through not just the month of March, but on into summer.
how did I pick what would be included?
My idea behind this wardrobe is that you would be able to find some of these items in your closet already and then supplement with items as needed. Most of the items I chose are under $100. The few items that are over $100 were picked intentionally for their quality, their longevity, and most likely because they are a classic piece you’ll wear year after year.
As far as the type of items, I considered a few factors. One being the weather. March is a transitional month weather-wise for us Texans, which means lots of layers. I needed to be able to dress for a 70 degree day and a 40 degree day. So, I have several sweaters, a jean jacket, and a trench coat. Another factor is color palette. If you’re looking to style pieces several ways and wear them over and over again, neutrals are key. That shouldn’t really come as a shock to you that I chose neutrals, but they create a good base for any style!
I also tried to keep the pieces to a minimum. I did include shoes in the capsule wardrobe though, but use what you have at home and what you’re comfortable in. As far as accessories, there are a few accessory staples you’ll see me wear throughout the month and into summer. These include this gold pendant necklace, this silver/diamond necklace, these knot earrings, and of course my favorite sunnies.
fleurdille’s march capsule wardrobe:
- trench coat – a coat is a must for March, but you don’t necessarily need a heavy coat anymore. A trench coat is a great option for spring. It’s classic, a brighter color, lighter weight, and sometimes water resistant. The price on this one is slightly over $100, but I highly recommend it. It’s very well made and will last you years!
- white denim jacket – while a trench coat is great for outdoors, I wanted to pick another type of jacket that could be worn for style as well; a jacket that could be kept on all day as an intentional part of your ensemble. I chose a white jean jacket and did some research on the best one. This particular one is under $100 and perfect for spring. It’s very lightweight and has the perfect amount of stretch to it. Honestly, it doesn’t feel like you’re wearing a bulky, stiff jean jacket when it’s on.
- sweater cardigan – how could I not include this sweater? It’s the one in today’s post and it’s been one of my best sellers for months. Well, the leopard version of this sweater cardigan has been the biggest seller. Then a couple of weeks ago JCrew came out with more color options for Spring and I pounced on the opportunity to grab a new color. This is one of the other items that is a bit over $100, but y’all, you will wear this all the time! It is 100% worth it.
- white sweater – I wanted a sweater that could be dressed up or down. This mesh sweater was perfect. I love that it can be worn casually with jeans, paired with a skirt or layered over a dress. It’s perfect for spring!
- lace top – this was a last minute addition. I wanted a feminine piece for this month’s capsule wardrobe, but didn’t want to force it. I found this within the past few days though and new it had to be included. I love the feminine cut and the sleeves. It will look cute with jeans or tucked in a skirt for a more refined look.
- white bodysuit – for a march capsule wardrobe, layering is key. I wanted a bodysuit that was functional and flattering. This v-neck bodysuit is incredibly flattering, very well made, and only $35!
- tan tee – I wanted a basic tee or two for this wardrobe. I added this tan tee to be able to wear casually or knotted over a dress or skirt. It’s another affordable find at $25 and it’s so incredibly soft.
- white tee – this is one of those items that may need to be included in every capsule wardrobe. It’s super versatile and has endless styling options.
- black tank – this black tank is soft, affordable, and can be dressed up or down. I wanted a shirt option that could work for date night or work as opposed to just running errands or hanging at home.
- black slip dress – spring to me means dress season is coming! I wanted a classic dress that could be dressed conservatively or more on the sexy side for date night. I have this dress in pink and white and knew immediately that the black version would be perfect for this wardrobe.
- black jumpsuit – a black jumpsuit is a great option for our March wardrobe. This jumpsuit can be dressed down with sneakers or up to be work-appropriate. It can even be dressed up for an evening function.
- black skirt – this is a great option to the LBD!
- ripped cropped jeans – I picked this pair of jeans for their reasonable price ($80) and to have fun with a trendy item in our wardrobe. How fun are these jeans? (If between sizes, size up!)
- black jeans – in addition to the jumpsuit and dress, I wanted another work-appropriate clothing option. So, I added my favorite under $80 black jeans that act and wash like black pants.
- classic bag – a classic bag is a must for any capsule wardrobe. For this month’s wardrobe, I picked a classic black clutch that could be dressed up as well as a nude clutch. Both go with anything!
- white sneakers – y’all, how amazing are these sneakers? I am in love. Sneakers are a big trend this season/year so it felt wrong to not include some.
- white mules – I chose these mules as a “casual/cute” option for work.
- black heeled sandals – because spring events are in full swing, I wanted on shoe option that I could wear to events/showers, or work!